Before I knew much about skin, I used to just moisturize and throw on a makeup primer, and called it a day. Over the years, I educated myself on skin prep and it made such a huge difference at the end of my makeup session. Makeup should ALWAYS look like second skin on your wedding day or special event.
Here are some tips on how to prep your skin for makeup:
- Start with a clean face. Wash with your favorite cleanser and pat dry. Or, if you are unable to get near a sink, you can use cleansing wipes (not makeup removing wipes, as there’s a big difference).
- Apply a hydrating serum. My favorite is Jordan Samuel’s hydrating serum.
3. Spray lightly with a hydrating mist (I love Mario Badescu’s facial sprays)
4. For oily and/or combination skin, apply a couple of drops of olive derived squalene oil. I like the one from Biossance:
5. For sensitive and dry skin, use a couple of drops of evening primrose oil. Wait a couple minutes before proceeding to the next step, to let everything sink in.
6. Apply chemical sunscreen (if it’s a daytime event). Wait a few minutes before proceeding.
7. Apply moisturizer – I love Sonia Roselli’s water balm, as it doubles as a primer and moisturizer.
8. At this point, I usually wait until right before I am applying foundation to add primer (if not using water balm ). My go-to primer is Smashbox’s Photo Finish Primer.
Now, you are ready to go and complete your makeup routine. It sounds like a lot of prep work, but it works for me and my clients. I do have a separate routine on those days where I’m not wearing makeup or if it’s not a special event that I am prepping for – that is another blog post I’ll put up.
Contact us today for your wedding day services, and see us in person as we prep your skin for your big day!